Home » DNA » RootsFinder – DNA Clusters

RootsFinder – DNA Clusters

Recently, RootsFinder announced a new DNA tool that helps visualize DNA data. To take advantage of this new tool, I had to create an account (currently free) on RootsFinder. Then, I had to add a tree.

Since RootsFinder had the option to upload a gedcom file, I tried to upload a file containing my ancestors and collateral lines. I created the gedcom file from my RootsMagic data. In the process of creating this file, I clicked to include sources in the gedcom file. This file failed to upload to RootsFinder. I then tried creating a gedcom file with just my ancestors (no collateral lines) and sources. This file also failed to upload.

My next step was to create a gedcom file of 5 generations of ancestors without sources. This file uploaded to RootsFinder.

Once I had a (limited) tree on RootsFinder, I was able to ‘upload’ my DNA. Instead of uploading my raw DNA, I had to use my GEDMatch data. Essentially, I ran the one to many search for my DNA kit and copied/pasted my matches into RootsFinder. The process was repeated with two Tier 1 tools: Matching Segment Search and Triangulation.

Contrary to some of the images other users have posted, my diagram is more of a glob than smaller clusters.

I tried repeating the process to add my DNA from the Genesis.Gedmatch site. Unfortunately, RootsFinder does not currently recognize that site as a Gedmatch site. Since I have close to 5000 matches on the beta Genesis version of GedMatch, I’m hoping that this will change in the future.

 

3 thoughts on “RootsFinder – DNA Clusters

  1. Hello, I take care of support for the RootsFinder’s free family tree and research helps, and this week I am filling in for the DNA staff while they are at RootsTech. RootsFinder will take a gedcom of up to 75,000 persons. I’d like to tract down the problem you were having. Would you please send me the tree number in the url, the device and browser you were using, and your username.

    Looks like you have a lot of kits that match to the same line in your tree. You can zoom on the clump, expand it and see the different connections between the kits. Also, if you are like me, the cluster diagram is fun but the segment view is much more helpful. The segment view shows which segments are related. Clicking on a node will open the kit view at the right; it will display all the kits which share that segment. This helps differentiate branches of particular lines in the tree. For now, RootsFinder provides 8 colors for color coding, i.e. red and light red for the maternal paternal and maternal maternal line, etc. The color coding is created when you match kits to your tree in the kit view. Click on a kit or node in any of the views to open the kit view. Click on the pencil icon and then the “match” tab to tag the kit to a person or family in your tree. (You go to the next tab to save.) If your clustered kits can be matched to either the maternal or paternal branches of that line, you will see some differentiation by color.

    Thank you for your review. Our DNA tools are still in the experimental phase. We welcome comments and suggestions. Your comments help us create better tools.

  2. Thank you for your comment! I’m sorry if my post came across as a negative review of RootsFinder. That was not my intent. Instead, I was experimenting to see what happened with my data.
    My tree number is 11157. My user name is mcphilbrick. I used my RootsMagic database on my desktop computer to create the gedcoms. The first gedcom I tried had over 9000 individuals in it plus their sources. It was 17834 KB in size. I then tried eliminating the collateral lines. That file was 1,895 KB in size. The file that uploaded only contained 5 generations and did not include sources. It was 128 KB in size.
    I live in a rural area and have fast internet for our community — 18 down / 1 up. However, that would not be considered fast internet in a suburban or urban setting. It is possible that my Internet connection is the issue.
    THANK YOU for the directions on how to use the segmentation feature. I will play around with that.
    I may also try uploading a more restricted set of gedmatch data.

  3. I just re-tried uploading the large gedcom and it completed the upload. Thus, the gedcom issue was likely with MY INTERNET and not with RootsFinder!

Comments are closed.