This is the final entry in a series of posts about the land that my 2nd great grandfather, Noah Briles purchased from his father.
Today, I’m adding the deed where Sarah J. Briles sells the land to her son-in-law, H. E. Myers.
The land in question is the West half of the Northeast quarter of Section Twelve (12) in Township twenty three (23) of Range fifteen (15).
- 1866 – Sarah Jane Thompson married Noah Washington Briles in Wapello County Iowa on 9 August 1866
- 1869 – Noah W. Briles purchased the land in question from his father, Alexander Briles.
- 1879 – Noah Briles died leaving his wife, Sarah and two children: Ida Angelina and Edward Grant Briles
- 1886 – In November, Sarah J. Briles mortgaged the land to W. H. Fear for $150.00
- 1888 – In May, Sarah Briles married Jeremiah D. Davis
- 1888 – In November, the mortgage to W. H. Fear was paid off
- 1889 – In January, Ed G. Briles purchase an undivided one fourth interest in the land from Angeline Myers (formerly Angeline Briles) and her husband H. E. Myers
- 1889 – In February E. G. Briles mortgaged an undivided one half interest in the land to W. H. Fear for $250.
- 1889 – In February, W. H. Fear assigned the mortgage for the land to Jacob Cline
- 1889 – In December, S. J. Davis and J.D. Davis and E. G. Briles mortgaged the land for $165 to Angeline Myers (Angeline Briles Myers)
- 1891 – In April, the mortgage obtained by E. G. Briles for an undivided one half interest in the land was paid off.
- 1896 – In July, the mortgage to Angeline Myers was paid off
- 1896 – In August, E. G. Briles and F. A. Briles his wife sell all their undivided half interest in the land to S. J. Davis for $1000
- 1896 – In August, S. J. Davis obtains a mortgage on the land from E. G. Briles (information regarding the cancellation of this mortgage is missing from the deed)
- 1898 – In July, Jeremiah D. Davis sold to Sarah J. Davis two parcels of land for $1,000
- the parcel in question: the West half of the Northeast quarter of section twelve (12) in township twenty three (23) of range fifteen (150
- and the Southwest quarter of the Southeast quarter of section thirty six (36) in township twenty two (22) of range fifteen (15)
- 1898 – In September, Jeremiah Davis was granted a divorce from Sarah J. Davis. Sarah J. Davis’ name was restored to Sarah J. Briles
- 1901 – In July, Sarah J. Briles mortgaged the land in section 12 to R. Waldron for $350
- 1910 – In March, the mortgage to R. Waldon had been paid off
- 1910 – In March, Sarah J. Briles sold the land in section 12 to H.E. Myers (first husband of Ida Angeline Briles)
Coffey County Kansas
Deed Book 77
Sarah J Briles
H. E. Meyers
State of Kansas, Coffey County, ss
This instrument was filed for record on the 15 day of March A.D. 1910 at 5 o’clock pm Harris E Robson
Register of Deeds
By Lizzie Robson, deputy
This indenture made this 15th day of March, A.D. 1910, between Sarah J Briles and widow and unmarried woman (formerly Sarah J Davis, also formerly S. J. Davis) of Coffey County in the state of Kansas of the first part, and H. E. Myers of Coffey County, in the State of Kansas, of the second part.
Witnesseth that the said party of the first part, in consideration of the sum of Eight Hundred Dollars and other considerations and dollars the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged do by these presents grant, bargain sell and convey unto said party of the second part, his heirs and assigns, all the following described real estate situated in the County of Coffey and State of Kansas, to wit:
The West half (1/2) of the North East quarter (1/4) of Section Twelve (12) Township twenty three (23) range fifteen (15) east of the sixth principal meridian provided however that the said Sarah J Briles hereby retains the right of possession during her life and all the rents issues and profits on the north half (1/2) of the aforesaid land at her death to become the property in fee simple of the said second party. (I hereby certify that I am the same person as S G Davis to whom E. G. Briles deeded an undivided interest in the above described land, which deed is recorded in book 55 at page 611 of the records in the office of the Register of Deeds of Coffey County Kansas, and also the same person as Sarah J Davis to whom Jeremiah G Davis deeded the above described land, which deed is recorded in book 51 of deeds at pate 383 of the records in the said Register of Deeds office.
To have and to hold the same, together with all and singular the tenements, hreditaments, and appurtenances thereunto belonging or in any wise appertaining, forever.
And said Sarah J Briles for herself, her heirs, executors or administrators does hereby covenant, promise and agree to and with said party of the second part, that at the delivery of these presents she is lawfully seized in her own right of an absolute and indefensible estate of inheritance, in fee simple, of and in all and singular the above granted and described premises, with the appurtenances; that the same are free, clear, discharged and unencumbered of and from all former and other grants, titles, charges, estates, judgments, taxes, assessments and encumbrances, of what nature or kind soever; except as above stated
And that she will warrant and forever defend the same unto said party of the second part, his heirs and assigns against said party of the first part, her heirs and all and every person or persons whomsoever lawfully claiming or to claim the same.
In witness whereof the said party of the first part has hereunto set her hand the day and year first above written.
Sarah J Briles
State of KansasCoffey County, Kansas, Deeds, Book 77 page 427, Sarah J Briles to H E Myers, 15 March 1910; Recorder of Deeds, Burlington, Kansas.
Coffey County, ss
Be it remembered, that on this 15th day of March, A.D. 1910 before me the undersigned, a register of deeds in and for the County and State aforesaid, came Sarah J Briles a widow and unmarried woman who is personally known to me to be the same person who executed the within instrument of writing, and such person duly acknowledged the execution of the same.
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my official seal, the day and year last above written.
Harris E Robson Register of Deeds
By Lizzie Robson Deputy