Home » FamilySearch » Lessons Learned

Lessons Learned

Do you ever have good intentions to share something and then fall flat? Well, I’ve fallen ‘flat on my face’ when trying to share some information on FamilySearch.

I recently received an email from support at FamilySearch indicating that a PDF file that I had uploaded as a memory was rejected. I received four such messages. These PDF files were created by printing one of my blog posts about an aspect of an ancestors life.

When I looked thru the guidelines for submission, the only thing on the list that I thought I might have violated was copyright. Since I wrote the blog posts and thus own the copyright, I sent a reply asking if that was the issue. Thankfully, I got a response back indicating that there was an URL that was causing the problem.

When I looked at the item on FamilySearch, I couldn’t see where I had added an URL.

However, when I opened the ‘offending’ pdf file on my computer and scrolled thru it, I discovered the problem.

There at the bottom of each page was the offending URL. Thankfully, I can edit the PDF and remove that link. So, I tried uploading a new file only to discover that the URL is somehow embedded in the document.

So, I investigated the settings on my non-business WordPress account and couldn’t find anything to allow me to print the post without the embedded URL.

Plan 2 was to go back to the post and try copying and pasting it into Word.

That got the information and the images into a Word document. Resizing the image allowed me to get the information onto one page. I then saved this as a PDF file.

I then uploaded this new PDF file to FamilySearch. When I go to the Memories for Mary Foster (where the file was uploaded) and open the memory, I can click on the file without it opening my blog. Thus, the URL is no longer embedded in the file. Unfortunately, there are links embedded in the document.

To get rid of those links, I go back to the Word document

  • highlight the text
  • right click
  • select remove link

This removes the links – but the text remains blue. Even though the text is blue, clicking on it won’t cause a page to open. However, someone might see the blue and assume there is an embedded URL. Thus, I need to change the text color.

I then save the file as a PDF and upload this new version to FamilySearch.

Hopefully, I found all of the URLs and this file will not become ‘restricted’.

Now, I have to get to work and fix the other files that have been restriced.