Calling all Genea-Musings Fans: It’s Saturday Night again –
Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!
Here is your assignment, should you decide to accept it (you ARE reading this, so I assume that you really want to play along – cue the Mission Impossible music!):
1) What day was your Mother born? Where was she born? What day of the week was it? Tell us how you found out.
2) What has happened in recorded history on your Mother’s birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
3) What famous people have been born on your Mother’s birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
Instead of doing this for my mother, I’m going to use my grandmother, Winnie Letha Currey.
- Born 30 Jun 1903
- Born in Lansing, Leavenworth County, Kansas
- Born on a Tuesday
What happened on 30 June 1903? A Google search of the date led to a Wikipedia page for June 1903. On that page, major events for each of the days of the month are listed. According to this site, the following happened on 30 June 1903.
For the second question, I googled “What Happened on 30 June”. The top site on the list of results led to the ‘On This Day‘ website. Below are some of the events that occurred during her lifetime on her birthday.
- 1921 – U.S. President Warren G. Harding appointed former President William Howard Taft chief justice of the United States.
- 1936 – Margaret Mitchell’s book, “Gone with the Wind,” was published.
- 1950 – U.S. President Harry Truman ordered U.S. troops into Korea and authorizes the draft.
- 1951 – On orders from Washington, General Matthew Ridgeway broadcasts that the United Nations was willing to discuss an armistice with North Korea.
- 1952 – CBS-TV debuted “The Guiding Light.”
- 1953 – The first Corvette rolled off the Chevrolet assembly line in Flint, MI. It sold for $3,250.
- 1955 – The U.S. began funding West Germany’s rearmament.
- 1957 – The American occupation headquarters in Japan was dissolved.
- 1958 – The U.S. Congress passed a law authorizing the admission of Alaska as the 49th state in the Union.
- 1962 – Los Angeles Dodger Sandy Koufax pitched his first no-hitter in a game with the New York Mets.
- 1970 – The Cincinnati Reds moved to their new home at Riverfront Stadium.
- 1971 – The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the government could not prevent the Washington Post or the New York Times from publishing the Pentagon Papers.
- 1971 – The 26th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified when Ohio became the 38th state to approve it. The amendment lowered the minimum voting age to 18.
- 1974 – The July 4th scene from the Steven Spielberg movie “Jaws” was filmed.
- 1977 – U.S. President Jimmy Carter announced his opposition to the B-1 bomber.
- 1984 – The longest professional football game took place in the United States Football League (USFL). The Los Angeles Express beat the Michigan Panthers 27-21 after 93 minutes and 33 seconds.
- 1985 – Yul Brynner left his role as the King of Siam after 4,600 performances in “The King and I.”
- 1986 – The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that states could outlaw homosexual acts between consenting adults.
When it comes to the third question, it is easy to google ‘who was born’ on a date. However, it is more difficult to find people that my grandmother might have known. Of the several lists I found, Michael Tyson’s name was the only one that my grandmother might have recognized.
Tackling this ‘question’ from a different perspective, there is a RootsMagic report called, ‘On This Day List’. Setting the options on that report to “Famous Births” and “Famous Deaths” produces a list of famous people born on June 30th.
Another report in RootsMagic that provides a different perspective for this question is the ‘Birthday and Anniversary List’ Report. By removing the checks by ‘Marriage Anniversaries’ in the report setup, a report of birthdays can be printed.
Since I included everyone, this report is quite lengthy. There are quite a few people in my database who share a birthday with my grandmother.
I’m thankful I investigated the RootsMagic reports. I find it more interesting to see who I have in my file who shares a birthday with my grandmother than which famous people might share her birthday.