Indexing Mystery

Over the past 10 months, I have had issues with my Ancestry tree, Heartland Genealogy, not being indexed. (Please see my June 2018 post, Tree Indexing Update, for background on this issue.) Now, I’m beginning to see evidence that my tree is indexed – at least some of the time.

To test whether my tree has been indexed, I have been using a free login to do an exact search of Public Member Trees for Judson Foster Crawford. This search has consistently produced 24 trees. My tree is not listed among these results suggesting that my tree hasn’t been indexed.

PublicMemberTreeSearch480

I recently noticed that when I search all collections for someone in my tree, one of the results is a ‘Matching Person (from family trees). When I tried my same Judson Foster Crawford search for all collections from the free account, the very first result is a link to my tree on my paid account.

JFCrawfordResults480

To verify that I am using a free account for the search, I clicked on the link to Judson Foster Crawford in my tree. This took me to a page where I could purchase access to Ancestry.

Hoping that this wasn’t a fluke, I tried another search with the name Edward Grant Briles. I received a link to Edward Grant Briles in my tree when searching all collections but my tree wasn’t listed when searching only the public member trees. I then tried a similar search for Ozias Wells — and my tree did not show up with either search. I repeated the ‘test’ with the name Charles Oliver Mentzer. This produced a link to Charles Oliver Mentzer in my tree when searching all collections but my tree was not listed when searching ‘public member trees’.

At this point, it looks like my tree may come up when searching all collections but not when searching Public Member Trees. My initial theory as to why Ozias Wells did not show up in a search of all collections but searches for Judson Foster Crawford, Edward Grant Briles and Charles Oliver Mentzer did produce links to my tree was based on thinking that I had not worked the Ancestry hints for Ozias Wells while having accepted hints for the other ancestors. However, I don’t have a shaky leaf for Ozias Wells and I have accepted eight hints.

WellsOziasHints480

Just to make sure my tree is still public, I checked the privacy settings for my Heartland Genealogy tree.

publictree480

Can anyone explain why

  • My tree doesn’t come up when searching only Public Member Trees, but a person in my tree may come up when searching all collections (same search criteria used)?
  • When searching all collections for some individuals in my tree, the results will show a link to that individual in may tree — but won’t for others in my tree?

Paper Outlasts Digital

Yesterday, I was in the process of scanning documents in one of my family binders when I came across what looked like a word processed document. After digging in my files for a while, I asked my husband what software I might have used prior to a specific date. His reply was that I didn’t use any software — but TYPED the document. After thinking about his answer, I know he is right.

However, in the process of trying to find the digital copy of the document, I discovered a lot of older files. These files need converted from the older software to newer versions so that the information in the files can be accessed. Basically, there are three types of files and three distinct challenges.

.WPS

The .wps files proved the easiest. I used the online service, ZAMZAR, to convert the files. Basically, the free version requires the uploading of the file, patience, and retrieval of the converted file via email. It is possible to purchase an account that allows for uploading batches of files and downloading them as zip files. My .wps files converted to .docx files without issue. These files can also be converted to .pdf

.WDB

My .wdb files are proving to be more challenging. Unfortunately, Zamzar doesn’t handle this type of file. So far, I haven’t found a converter that will allow Microsoft Excel to open the file. After discovering that I still have Microsoft Works installed on my computer, I tried opening the files with that software only to be told the file was corrupted. I was able to open the file with Notepad and verify that there is data in the file. Since several of these files were indexing projects from naturalization books, I need to figure out how to retrieve the data. (This data was published in the newsletter at the time.)

Fortunately, some of the files will open. This should allow me to export the data from those files.

.MDB

After struggling with the Microsoft Works files, I decided to open my Microsoft Access files and get the data exported to Excel. I’ve found that some of those files will not open. Based on Google searches, I’m going to try locating an older version of Access to see if I can open the files and get it converted either to a newer version or to excel.

I know that I should have tried to convert these files before now — especially since that is one of the comments about going digital. However, I let my genealogy sit and didn’t think about trying to open the files — particularly the indexing projects.

Fortunately, these projects had been placed online at the time and I have the old .html files. Thus, the data is still available on the web — just not on my local computer.

Lessons learned:

  • Paper outlasts digital
  • Open files of various types annually
  • Keep old copies of software around (and potentially an older computer to run it)
  • Put it on the web
  • Possibly — save it in .txt format